Friday, September 3, 2010

Honoring A Local Hero

Yesterday, my wife and I attended a visitation for a young marine, RJ Newton, killed in Afghanistan. We did not know him, or any of his friends or family members. It was my wife's idea, and at first, to be honest, I was reluctant to go simply because I did not know him or his family.

Yet, afterwards, I did know him. Not personally, but as a young man who volunteered to serve his country and two days after his 21st birthday, died in that service. I knew him for something that I wish I had, the courage to do the hard work for the rest of us. When looking at all the photos spread around the funeral home, those photos were of me...and just about any other young American man or woman. The difference is, he took the stand. He took the steps that many of us won't do...and he made the ultimate sacrifice. There was sense to me of both pride..and guilt. I may be too old to serve in the military, but not too old to serve my country in some capacity. I knew a hero, but never met him. I'm glad my wife wanted to go. I'm glad I went and met his parents, to shake their hands, and all I could express was my sympathies and a thank you. What his parents did not know is their son taught me a very important lesson. It's not necessarily who you meet that will make an impression, it is more important to know the character of the individual..maybe from a distance, yet, in some way, we all know RJ Newton. He is what we aspire to be, a man who made his country the top priority in his life, so we can live our lives.

So next time you hear complaints about today's generation (and don't we hear that about EVERY generation), think of our men and women who wear the uniform in 120 degree heat, with 60 pounds of gear, fighting in places like Anbar province, Fallujah, or Kandahar. There is a greatest generation in all of us. It's what we do with the steps we take that will impact the lives of others. RIP Mr. Newton. You showed at least one man that he can some more steps forward to serve. Semper Fi!

No comments:

Post a Comment