Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Social Media

In looking for new career opportunities, I have become immersed in the new social media sites, though I've barely scratched the surface (just like Blogging). The business LinkedIn is generally a free for all kind of networking with about any group of people you like (or don't).
Usually, posters will place questions on line, mostly in the form of "if you could describe a CEO in one word, what would it be?" Hundreds of responses will follow. My choice was "ethical". My second choice, was "why in the hell am I bothering to answer these questions?"
In my 25 plus years in business, I've unfortunately encountered few quality leaders running companies. Most think they are some form of gods based on their job title and refuse to listen to differing opinions from managers they've hired and pay huge salaries. Frankly, in my non-psychological opinion, these type of leaders are insecure in their abilities. Ruling as tyrants or worse, trying to be liked by every employee, just causes the organization to gradually deteriorate in anarchy. Pushing their own agenda without obtaining other opinions, no matter how divergent from their own beliefs those other opinions might be, just sets up the company for failure. If managers don't have that "fire in the belly" attitude in their jobs, it's basically because their boss doesn't, because their input is relegated to their spouses when they come home from work every night.
How many times have I heard the CEO say to employees: " I have an open door policy." Makes me want to hurl. What they do NOT have is an 'open listening policy' once you enter their open doors. Use more of those two objects on the side of the head, they're called ears...they're not just on your head to hold your glasses. Listening is the most critical aspect of a successful leader in my opinion...something I also need to learn and improve. It's not easy, but it can be a learned attribute for all CEO's and managers.

No comments:

Post a Comment